Retain Employees through Recognition — Tell Their Stories!
by Evelyn Clark
Recognition is the Number One reward that employees respond to, far more than salary and benefits. This has been the finding of study after study on employee retention.
One of the most effective recognition tools that many leading U.S. companies are using is storytelling. Managers who consistently tell stories of people “caught doing something right” discover that recognition is truly a highly valued reward. The benefits are numerous:
- The employee is pleased that the manager noticed a job well done and took the time to acknowledge it
- Other employees learn more about the behavior that the company values
- Employees are motivated to enhance their performance
- Employees take more pride in their affiliation with the company
- Productivity and profitability increase
Encourage your managers to take note of people doing things right-and recognize their actions by telling their stories.
This article may be republished electronically. Please ensure the following resource box is maintained intact.
Evelyn Clark, The Corporate Storyteller, is president of Clark & Company, a marketing communication firm in the Seattle area. A public relations practitioner with more than 20 years experience, she was accredited by the Public Relations Society of America in 1986. Her firm’s services include facilitation of retreats and communication workshops, marketing and communication management, media relations strategy development, and media training. http://www.CorpStory.com All content © Clark & Company 1993-111 (unless otherwise indicated). All rights reserved.